28 April, 2010

Response To Elegies

Beloved! Be Loved.

Beloved! Be Loved. Days are done;
You have faced all weathers, your experiences won
Home is near, angels hear, your heart is exulting
But beating stillness without feeling, my face grim and baring
Still Heart! heart. Heart!

No more beating blood red
For in the casket lays you
Face of cold and dead.

Beloved! Be Loved. You are praised so all is well
But return to us - You so are loved - Can you not tell?
We bring our flowers. There are wreaths the black hole crowding
we sway on our feet, mascara a mess and away our faces turning.
Beloved! So Loved!
My warm hand to your face
It forces tears to eyes
To know you feel no embrace.

Beloved has no answer, pale of face, cold. So still.
Does not feel my childish fingers pulsating while I will
beloved is home now, her resting face sound
While I fear and smile away. return her to her ground
Smile friends to remember
As I mourn with every tread
For soon I must leave this place
Where Beloved lies cold. Lies dead.

This was written as part of my Literature- Creating workbook. after many weeks of diligent poetry study and analysis, it was time to begin my responses. Already written were "The Babe", "Response to Poem", "Ode to My Mid-Morning Snack", Response to: Sonnet 130 and Tarantella. There was also an unnamed poem by 'Lemony Snickett' himself.
"Beloved! Be Loved." was written in response to the topic of elegies and based on the form of "O Captain! My Captain!" by Walt Whitman. Whitman writes his elegy upon reflection of the loss of Abraham Lincoln. My elegy is for the death of my mother.
Any analysis, critiques, comments or odd observations are welcome.
For now, I'll just wait in the orange tree and do yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment