07 May, 2010

Mrs. Hilary Warrington

My name is Amy Miller. I am the Cadet Corporal at the Cardinia Combined St John Ambulance. You know me because I have been a part of your division for several years and have for some time considered myself to be your friend.
Today, I would like to take this opportunity to raise some objections and complaints I have come across whilst working alongside you as a part of Cardinia Combined.

It has recently been brought to my attention that you had made some remarks about my appearance at the ceremony where I received my promotion from Senior Cadet to Senior Cadet Corporal. The comments were made to another cadet (whose name will remain unmentioned for privacy) whilst I was not present. This cadet has also discussed their displeasure at the comments made.
The comments in question were as follows and they are naturally paraphrased as I was unable to hear them first hand:
You questioned whether myself and the other cadet ever checked our appearance before leaving to attend meetings in uniform.
You then went on to say that we were not to wear our black skirts as part of the uniform or we would have to wear jumpers.
What came next appalled me and hurt my feelings. Your next comment was that you believed our appearance in uniform to be unflattering and that was why we must not wear skirts.
Specifically you said that the skirt was far too tight on my hips and stomach.
I do not appreciate these comments as I have previously worn this very same uniform yet I have lost weight since I wore it last so it does not sit as tight as it previously did. Also on this issue, I do not wear the St John uniform because it is flattering to my figure. I do not come to St John Ambulance to be stared at. I do it because I like the opportunity I am given. I do it because I am proud to be a cadet.

My second complaint regards your treatment of Angelique Zacaris. I understand that you have differing views to Angelique and she becomes the topic of discussion and minor jokes. I have also taken part in lightly mocking her. I do not say it is particularly right but I do believe this to be harmless and all in fun. What upsets me is the harsh way in which you tore down her dreams of becoming a doctor.
You may be quite right in saying that Angelique will not be able to become a doctor through her current course of schooling or attitude to learning. It is the way you went about it that upsets me so.
Angelique is far from emotionally mature and your tone in addition to the things you were saying about the poor girls dreams hurt her. The pain caused was visible from how she looked. Although she regained her composure quite quickly, the damage was done.

I must speak up about your husband, Mr Herbert Mueller. It seems to me that although you are no longer living with him as though married, you will not deter him from interfering in your St John life. For the sake of professionalism, something must be done. You put the image and reputation of St John Ambulance in jeopardy by allowing him to loiter around our vehicle whilst on duty.
Mr Mueller is not only a hazard to the oxygen tank due to his habit of smoking beside our vehicle, there are hygiene issues. Mr Mueller does not care much for his appearance or personal hygiene and these standards are absolutely foul. Such poor hygiene within the vicinity of our vehicle used for the treatment of the injured public is not acceptable.
Mr Mueller is also far from self aware and problematic when it is necessary to treat casualties. I have had to remove Mr Mueller from where I was treating once as he was trying to tell a casualty with an injured leg to move as the casualty was in his chair. I was made to waste my time and the incident did not look good for St John Ambulance's reputation.

I regret to inform you, Mrs Warrington, that I am severely displeased with the current goings on of this division and I am questioning my role in its participation. I feel that perhaps a short reprieve from the division is necessary so that the division will be able to make reparations and so that I may also remove myself from that which displeases me.

Miss Amy Miller
Senior Cadet Corporal
Cardinia Combined Division
St John Ambulance Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment