03 May, 2010

Little Sara

Let's tell a story. Seven and a half years ago when my friend Mark found out his mum was in labour, he came over to my house. All he wanted was for me to help him make a bracelet for his little sister currently fighting her way into the world. So I helped him. It was a bright bracelet that he made, with deep reds and blues. There was even a tiny bit of pink.
The red spheres are for Oma, Opa, Darcy, Mark, Sara and the bunnies, Flops, Breakfast and Huff.
I used to look after Sara after school when she was really little because her mum had to work. When she was about three, they moved away and I didn't see her as much.
Last year, Mark was with his mum packing up their stuff and getting ready to leave. By the time the smoke was close enough to inhale, his mum was sprinting across the back of their property trying to get down to the gum trees where Sara was playing with their sheepdog.
Then Mark forced her to leave.
Mark walked all the way from the end of Army Road to my house at 4am in the morning. He sat there and talked to me for a couple hours. He told me he'd had to pick his mum up and carry her to the car because she wouldn't leave. We fell asleep at about five. Mark woke me up at seven. He'd walked all that way just to talk to me. Then he just gave me her bracelet and left. I didn't understand for a while because he stopped where I did. And then started again.
For Mark,whose sister I have known all her life. All six years.

Fire burning through my nights
The fretful dreaming in my mind
Children caught who now roam free
Outlived their days with none to see
I hold a bracelet with bloody flowers
Reminding me of how you spent your hours
Crying, hurting and caught in flames
To never speak or smile again
You keep me turning and I scream
As I feel the pain you must have been
In; While my flesh burns from the heat
I cling to a bracelet of garish beads
With a dog curled by my side
I relive each night how you died
And every breath holds hate and spite
For one inferno sparked from one light
I cannot breath now, my chest is tight
Flames remind me of you tonight
You hold my hand until I believe
There will be sleep and you leave
I am awake and dazed - My throat is dry
Your bracelet rests before my eyes
I miss you Sara so I cry.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you talk to me about this any more? I'm here for you baby.

    ReplyDelete