21 March, 2010

For the Sister I Must Not Forget

Once Upon A Time, I left and when I came back you were gone. It wasn't because you loved me any less but rather that you loved someone else in a new way. That was an ok love and I am glad you found it but parting is a cliche: it is a sweet sorrow. I loved to see you grown up and out on your own. I was proud because you were your own person and you were doing so well at it. Now I am perhaps very sad for my infrequent visits will become near non-existent. It is not because I love you any less; it is because I love you different. This time, you have left me. I am in the family home while you are off in the world.
You don't ask after me, nor I after you but it would be nice to think that you did. I cannot though because I know you. We are family and that means I know that you don't think of me. One day, when I had left, I thought of you. I didn't have days similar to this often but I did have them. I believe you cannot have them.
To control the safety of your new life, you must reject some of your old. Like your body would with snake venom, you are rejecting your past. I am the poison of your past. I cannot even remember when I stopped being the sugar and started being the poison. There must have been a turning point, a climax where I suddenly became the bitter villain of our story and ruined the relationship.
Now all I have left is the hope that our lives shall follow the formalised structure of the tales I so often immerse myself in (perhaps that was the issue; maybe you believed I never spent enough time in the real world, here with you). I am forced to endure the physical burning of desperation, the last object of value and virtue any person may have to hold close: my hope.
My hope is strong. I beg endlessly for a dénouement, for the unravelling, the untying of our misguidedly written manuscript to come to the end of such a farcical story that few would ever believe and less would enjoy.
I have hope for our conclusion, our happy ending. But then, happy endings are just stories we have not finished yet.

3 comments:

  1. i think you should write a poem about me. cuz.... i.am.legend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe I will. But then again, you are anonymous so I don't know who you are. I was thinking of writing one for my friend DJ but she is pissing me off so much right now and I can't stand her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should do another rant about her?

    ReplyDelete